Thursday, July 9, 2015

A father's love

If you are close to me, follow my posts- or watched the news last night (ugh!) you know that yesterday was a hard day.  Here's why.Yesterday I listened to a grandfather named Rob, who loves his daughter, loves his granddaughter, and loves his son-in-law, stand up and tell the court- his voice cracking with emotion- the pain he endured when tragedy struck and his granddaughter died and he couldn't be there to hold his baby when she got the news that her baby was gone.  He explained the helplessness he felt and the anger he experienced when he heard her screams and knew she was alone in a hospital corridor

That case came to me in January 2009..... The same month I learned that my dad was diagnosed with Cancer and given months to live.  These two tragedies are forever linked in my mind.

When I first got the case I didn't know our client, or his family.  I was the paralegal assigned to the case and not yet the investigator.  I read all the documents and processed everything.  But didn't have too much contact with the family.  And honestly- I was too filled with grief and worry about my dad that I couldn't focus on much.  I did my job.... But it was more like going through the motions.

Six months later my dad was gone.

It would be a couple of years before I would really get to know the family attached to the case.  I grew to love them all.  But not equally.  Because the two I feel closest to are the two I had the most contact with.  And when I got to know Rob - that's when I believed with my whole heart that our client was innocent.

I've echoed this statement over and over any one who asks {and even those who don't} about my belief in Clay's innocence.  "His father-in-law believes he's innocent.  That speaks VOLUMES."

Here's why that speaks volumes to me and why every time I see and hug Rob- I think about my dad:
 My father loved me with his entire heart.  He loved me at my best and at my worst.  He loved his little girl {me} even when she was unlovable and mean and selfish.  He loved me even when I thought other things were more important than my relationship with him.  He loved me...... But oh how he loved his baby's baby.  He adored T. He was there in the delivery room when she came into this world.   Lit up whenever he saw her.  Was overjoyed when we moved in across the street. And devastated when we drove out of his driveway and headed to Alaska.  This love- this overwhelming love that my father had for his girls is the reason I'm convinced Clay is innocent.

There is no way IN HELL that if something had ever happened to T and my husband was charged with a crime - that my father would support him if he had one ounce of doubt- one sliver of belief that his son-in-law had anything to do with it.  There's no way my father would have been my husband's third party custodian for 3 years, and come to EVERY court date in support of his son-in-law if he even had a second's thought that he was involved in his granddaughter's death. So for several years in my mind I have put my dad in Rob's shoes.

In general terms I can see an accused's parent or wife supporting him wholeheartedly.  That's his blood, his partner.  But not the in-laws.  No way.

It's been a rough week.  Yesterday I cried {on TV even....sheesh!} for a family that has lost a daughter/granddaughter - and now a husband/family member/friend.

Today I cry because 6 years ago today I lost my dad.  Cancer got the better of him and he's with Jesus now.  He's the lucky one.  He's not surrounded by injustice and heartache. I hope he's bouncing Rob's granddaughter on his knee - playing peekaboo with her and giving her hugs that Papas are so good at.  I know Rob and my dad will meet someday and he'll hand Rob his granddaughter and there will only be joy.



No comments:

Post a Comment